What is it / purpose: “Microbiologists We Admire” is a community-submitted series of highlight slides that will be displayed on the Microbial Sciences Building announcement monitors and Twitter. Each slide will feature a microbiologist, past or present, from anywhere around the world and in any profession related to microbiology that the nominator admires. The purpose is to raise awareness about under-sung microbiologists and to increase representation and the sense of an inclusive community within the Microbial Sciences Building. However, there is no strict definition of under-sung; the main purpose is to highlight any microbiologist that inspires you.
Who can participate: Anyone who works or studies in the Microbial Sciences Building at UW-Madison. People may participate as individuals, self-formed groups, or organized groups like labs, courses, student organizations, etc.
How to participate: Nominate a microbiologist you (or your group) admire(s) by filling out the single slide template (see instructions below) and emailing it to us at email@example.com.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Instructions for nominators
- Create slide using the template linked below. The information requested includes:
- Name of the microbiologist;
- Location(s) associated with the person;
- Years lived/living (if known), e.g., 1825-1894 or 1963-;
- Picture of the person and/or their research;
- Short list of their accomplishments;
- Name(s) of the nominator(s) or group;
- Short description of why you admire this microbiologist;
- Acknowledgement of any copyrights or image sources.
- Save completed slide with title formatted as follows: “MWA_[First Name_Last Name of microbiologist you are nominating]”, e.g., “MWA_Rosalind_Franklin”.
- Email saved slide as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “MWA submission”.
- The DEI committee will do a quick screening for completeness/offensive language/images and then schedule the slide for display. Any changes to the slide will be approved by the nominator(s) before posting. You will be notified when your submission will be displayed and if it is part of any theme. Note: Slides may also be posted on the Department’s Twitter feed and/or here on our website.